Parkchester Library Branch
The Parkchester Branch of The New York Public Library began serving the Northeast section of the Bronx in 1942 when it was originally housed in the Parkchester Housing Development. In June of 1985, the library moved to its present quarters along Westchester Avenue. The branch serves a multi-ethnic neighborhood with a growing population of immigrants from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Africa, and the Middle East. The single-level brick building features a semi-circular facade which creates a recessed courtyard. The sculptured animals in the courtyard won the 1984 Annual New York City Art Commission Award. The 7,500 square foot interior is air-conditioned and fully accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. In 1996, city funds were allocated to expand the library and plans are now in progress for a second story addition.